Monday, May 28, 2007

What I'm Doing Now

A week and a half ago I bought the book below from B&N:



On our recent trip to Smallsville, VA (lol...actually the town is called Exmore, VA) I read the book...or at least attempted to read it. Well in the infamous words of my friend Shel, "Can somebody please talk to me like I'm 10?" Um, I had a hard time understanding some of the lingo and jargon in the book....but it seems that it will be a good reference book for me once I get started.


I've also picked up just about every sewing magazine I can find. My favorite right now is Sew Simple....it seems to be on the level for an extreme sewing novice.


Right now I've been looking for a sewing machine...so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I bid on one on eBay....but will probably just end up dropping a couple hundred bucks on a new one. I want something relatively simple, but also something i can also grow into. I hear Singer is the brand of choice...so that's the brand I'm looking at right now. And by the prices on eBay, it's everyone else's brand of choice too.


Next post...my sewing goals and purpose.


Sew Happy to Be Sewing!

3 comments:

Still Patrice said...

Have you made any progress yet?
I bought a Brother from Wal-mart. I haven't sewn anything except some pillows. lol
(an EbonyElite friend)

KimT said...

i also bought a brother from Wal.Mart. I am a total novice and have the nerve to be teaching myself! So far, I have attempted a dress (kind of country looking so I have not worn it yet), A summer top, which is almost done (i started a year ago!) and now I just bought a pattern for a another not so country looking sundress. The brother works for me and it was under $100.00. I am so new at this that it will be a while before I am ready to graduate to a fancier version.

quilteddogs said...

Good for you for learning to sew. However, you might want to stay away from Singer. They have gone downhill and there are other machines that are far better.